Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Tribute to My Husband

My husband and I celebrated seven years of marriage last Monday.  I am so, so, so thankful for him.  The Lord has used him to make me into a better person - a more complete one, yes, but also someone who more closely resembles the character traits of God.

Because of Justin, I am:

  • more balanced.  I consider things carefully and calmly before reacting, rather than allowing myself to become tossed back and forth on the waves of my emotional response.
  • more patient.  Living with anyone engenders patience.  But, Justin has born with me so many times, never saying a word about my struggles until, finally, after months (sometimes years), I realize I'm in bondage and come to him and confession.  Almost every time, he's not surprised. He has seen it, known it, been subject to it.  Instead of freaking out and yelling at me to change because of how my junk affects him (ah-hem, I wouldn't know anything about that kind of response), he waits.  Patiently.  When the time is right, and I turn toward change, he's there, ready to forgive, ready to help, ready to smile and encourage and restore with his loving presence.  
  • more fun.  He makes me laugh.  A lot.  At myself, at life, at hardship.  There is joy with him.  As my son put it, "Mom, Daddy's more fun than you."  Oh so true.  And thank God.  We all need a little fun in our lives, right?  More than a little.  I'm quite sure God gave us laughter for a reason.
  • more loving.  Justin doesn't expect much from people.  This used to annoy me.  I would think, "Don't you know you deserve more; don't you know you shouldn't let people get away with giving you so little?"  Now I know: love doesn't work like that.  What I used to preach with my words I now live more truly with my life.  Love is selfless.  Love doesn't seek to get; it seeks to  give.
From 1 Corinthians 13:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails...

Thank you, Justin, for teaching me how to love.  I love you!  Here's to many more years together!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment