Monday, April 18, 2011

Obedient unto Death

Our pastor mentioned part of a verse during yesterday's Palm Sunday sermon: "obedient unto death."  He illustrated it by talking about a parishioner who had recently passed away.  When he lay dieing, this man had come to a place of peace and said, "I am ready."

As I listened to Father Robbie talk about this man's journey, my thoughts wandered slightly.  I did not think about literal death.  Rather, I asked myself:


Am I willing to be obedient unto death?


Unto death?


What do I need to die to?


Am I ready? 


Am I willing?
 
Philippians 2:5-11 (New International Version)


 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 6 Who, being in very nature God,
   did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
   by taking the very nature of a servant,
   being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
   he humbled himself
   by becoming obedient to death—
      even death on a cross!
 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
   and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father.


Linking up with Michele at Graceful for "Hear it on Sunday, Use it on Monday".  What do you need to die to this week?

1 comment:

  1. Obedience has been top of mind for me lately. And this verse? I read it at my mother-in-law's funeral this fall...it's a very special verse for me.

    And thank you for linking up with Graceful this week. I'm wishing you joy and peace this Easter week!

    ReplyDelete