Monday, June 6, 2011

Too Good Not to Share: Sweet Potato Mash

I adapted this recipe from a Cook's Country episode Justin and I watched last weekend.  I make sweet potatoes a lot, but I had never thought to let them self-steam.  (Because of their water content, they can basically cook in their own juices.)  I highly recommend trying this out.  Enjoy!

Notes:
  • whenever possible, I highly recommend the use of organic everything - produce, spices, etc.
  • I used soy-based margarine because I'm cutting out dairy, but you can also use butter or regular margarine on a one-for-one substitution
  • make sure you keep the heat low and set the timer - I stirred once while cooking and it didn't burn
Ingredients:
  • two organic sweet potatoes* (these are different from yams), medium-sized
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) soy margarine (I found Willow Run at my local grocery store, and I love it.  If you can't find it, try Earth Balance spread.
  • 1/4 water
Directions:
  • In a medium sauce pan melt margarine on low heat (low heat is crucial)
  • Peel the potatoes, wash thoroughly, cut into quarters
  • Thinly slice (about 1/4 inch thick) so you end up with even pieces
  • Dump the potatoes into the pot with the melting margarine and give a quick stir (still on low heat)
  • Add the spices and water, stir
  • Cover
  • Set timer for 35 minutes
  • Stir once while steaming
  • When time is up the potatoes should be carmalizing and falling apart at the slightest touch, but not mushy or runny
  • You can easily "mash" simply by stirring and then serve up
  • Makes two adult-sized servings (1/3 to 1/2 cup each) or two 1/3 cup servings with a little leftover for toddler-portions
I like serving this with pork or chicken.

*Click on the link for a detailed explanation of the health benefits of sweet potatoes.  When they're in season, try to eat them once or twice a week!

Allergy Info: this recipe is dairy free, lactose free, gluten free, nut free, corn free, and kosher.  Contains soy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing sweet potatoes are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete