Monday, May 9, 2011

Honoring Mom

Yesterday at church our priest prayed for moms during the Prayers of the People.  She ended her prayer with: "we pray all this in the name of Jesus, who loved his mom."

The way she said it made me take note.  She spoke of his love for his mom with tenderness.  It hit home.  He did love his mom.  I don't know why that struck me, but it did.

So, in honor of our Father's love for his earthly mom, I'm going to write down a few of the reasons I love my mom:
  • She gives me things.  I know this sounds hopelessly superficial, but it's not.  First of all, gift-giving is her primary love language, so when she shows up with a bag of clothes from Ross I know it's her way of saying "I love you."  Secondly, she often gives me things when she knows I need it most, helping me in practical, tangible ways that really help.
  • She shows up.  Always.  Every time.  Whether it's a kickball game, piano recital, church retreat, or bigger things, like when I'm in the hospital or on my wedding day or at my kids' births.
  • She tries her best.  This seems pedantic, but it is significant for me.  No matter what, I know she's giving us her best.  That makes me feel loved.
There are other things I could write, but I just wanted this to be a sampling, an exercise in honor.  And an impetus - to get you thinking about yours.

Thanks to all the moms out there - you are honored.

Linking up with Michelle at "Hear it on Sunday, Use it on Monday".  Check out all the awesome posters over at her place!

3 comments:

  1. That's the awesome miracle of the incarnation -- that Jesus was both God and human, and thus experienced the same human emotions that we do, including a human love for his mother. It seems odd to think of Him that way, doesn't it? But yet in some ways it helps me relate to Him on a deeper, closer level, too, knowing that He loved his mother in much the same way I loved mine.

    Thank you for the insights today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant to say "in much the same way I LOVE minde" -- my mom is still very much with us (didn't mean to refer to her in the past tense - yikes!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought of that either...Jesus loved His mom! Wow..makes me wonder what their personal relationship was like. I loved reading about your mom...i always have found love languages interesting...and true. When you know someones language it can make things so much easier. We all have some different ways to say I love you don't we?
    How are you doing? praying He is meeting you right where you are today..
    xo

    ReplyDelete